Charles City County Government is committed to our employees and through the benefits program, we endeavor to cultivate a culture of well being that empowers, educates and engages employees and retirees to make life-long choices that promote a holistic approach to their physical, mental, emotional, social, spiritual and financial wellness. The following is a summary of the benefits available to eligible employees.
Click Link for Charles City County Benefits Program
- RETIREMENT – Charles City County is a member of the Virginia Retirement System (VRS). New Employees (hired on or after July 1, 2012) will be required to pay a 5% employee contribution to VRS from each paycheck. Employees hired after January 1, 2014, or who were previously employed in a covered position and took a refund of your defined benefit member contribution or withdrew your full account balance in an optional retirement plan, will be rehired under the Hybrid Retirement Plan if returning to an eligible position. All full-time salaried employees are enrolled into the system and become vested in VRS after five (5) years of service.
- GROUP LIFE INSURANCE - Life insurance is carried for all full-time employees by Minnesota Life through VRS. The County pays the basic group life premiums. While actively employed, your group life provides you with life insurance coverage and accidental death and dismemberment insurance coverage. Life insurance coverage is doubled to the next highest thousand dollars above your annual salary for natural death and four times the next highest thousand dollars above your annual salary for accidental death. Life insurance coverage continues for the duration of full-time employment and may be converted to an individual policy upon separation from the County.
- OPTIONAL GROUP LIFE - All active full-time employees covered under the basic VRS group life plan are eligible to purchase optional life insurance. Employees may also purchase the optional insurance plan for their spouse and child(ren). Premiums are based on the employee's age, salary and plan option.
- GROUP HEALTH INSURANCE - Health insurance coverage is an available option to all full-time employees through United HealthCare.
- GROUP INSURANCE - Additional programs covering short-term disability, cancer, intensive care, long-term care, and accident/illness are available at the employees’ expense through American Family Life Assurance Company, Inc. (AFLAC), Washington National, or The Capitol Group.
- DEFERRED COMPENSATION PLANS – Charles City County offers 457 Deferred Compensation Plans through Variable Annuity Life Insurance Company (VALIC), a subsidiary of AIG.
- CREDIT UNIONS – Charles City County is a member of the Virginia Credit Union and Vantage Point Federal Credit Union located in Hopewell, Virginia.
- LEAVE – Paid Time Off leave is based on years of service
- HOLIDAY LEAVE - The following days have been designated as holidays and will be observed by employees of Charles City County, except where County work schedules do not permit: New Year's Day, Lee-Jackson Day, Martin Luther King Day, President's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving Day, Day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, Day after Christmas, and any other days so designated by the Governor.
- EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM - The County provides confidential crisis counseling and referral services relative to personal, financial or other matters which may adversely impact an employee's well being and work performance.
- PROBATIONARY PERIOD – Unless otherwise specified in an employee's offer letter, all employees shall serve a 90-day probationary period effective from the date of hire.
- PAY SCHEDULE - Employees are paid semi-monthly, and payday is the 15th and last working day of each month. Direct Deposit is available for all Charles City County employees.