Business Resources & Links
Charles City County recognizes the significant positive impact that small businesses have on our area. Whether you are looking to expand, relocate, or are just starting out, we want to help your business reach its fullest potential. Below you will find helpful information, links, and contact information that will guide you along your path to success in Charles City County.
Virginia Department of Business Assistance
The Virginia Department of Business Assistance is the go-to source for information on nearly every aspect of small business in the state.
Crater Small Business Development Center (SBDC)
Crater Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Longwood University in Petersburg offers education, one-on-one business counseling, and economic research to new and existing businesses. Services include:
- Business planning assistance
- Classes in basic payroll and bookkeeping
- Educational workshops
- Financial analysis
- Market research
- Marketing plan development
Richmond SCORE offers free and confidential business mentoring and low-cost workshops both for start-up entrepreneurs and existing small business owners.
Crater Development Company
Crater Development Company offers small business financing using SBA 504 Loan Program.
Virginia Business One Stop
Virginia Business One Stop provides a wealth of information in an interactive format for those wishing to start, expand, or relocate a business, as well as advice on running your business more efficiently.
Virginia Economic Development Partnership
Looking to establish a business in Charles City County? This guidebook (PDF) from the Virginia Economic Development Partnership will walk you through the process.
If you think your business could use mentoring of a more personalized nature, we encourage you to take advantage of Quin Rivers' great local strategic business assistance and review.
In today’s market, businesses must have a streamlined online presence in order to compete. Vectec helps small to medium size businesses develop and implement electronic commerce activities. Call them at 757-243-8700.
State of Virginia
See YesVirginia link for information on Virginia business tax policy at the state and local level.
U.S. Small Business Administration
The U.S Small Business Administration has a useful online tool that helps small business owners identify not only what types of financial assistance they need and qualify for, but also matches them with potential sources of recommended funding. Business Planning helpful online tool.
Other Helpful Links
- Comprehensive Guide to Starting a Business
- Virginia Department of Minority Business Enterprise
- Virginia Business Incubation Association
- Resource Guide for Small Business (PDF)
- The Virginia Department of Business Assistance offers many funding opportunities to a variety of different business types.
- The Bridging Communities Regional Career Technical Center through Rappahannock Community College allows high school students to earn credits for learning vocational and business skills
- The County's Community Profile: